On Jan. 25, 2010, the Seattle City Council passed CB116731, a city ordinance that expands on the rating and disclosure requirements of the Efficiency First bill. CB 116731 expands on the building energy rating and disclosure requirements of SB 5854 in three areas:
- Energy performance data is reported to the City of Seattle annually
- Multifamily projects must be rated and disclosed to the city
- Rating data must be disclosed upon request to a current tenant
Multifamily properties with five units or more will report energy performance data to the city annually beginning April 1, 2012. Other nonresidential property will annually report energy performance data to the city beginning April 1, 2011 for buildings 50,000 SF and greater, and beginning April 1, 2012 for buildings 10,000 SF and greater.
The city of Seattle commissioned an economic analysis of the proposed commercial and multifamily rating and disclosure programs
- Collectively, this impacted more than 8,000 buildings
- Found that the programs would save more than 47 million kWh annually and create as many as 150 jobs.
Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn signed the ordinance into law on Feb 1, 2010.
*Information provided courtesy of www.IMT.org